“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.” ~Jacques Deval

“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.”    ~Jacques Deval

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"I believe in one God, The Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible"

I have a confession. I am strongly attracted to the Orthodox Christian Church. I am a Southern Baptist.

In all honesty I grew up in a home where God was never mentioned. Oddly I've always known He was there. I don't know how, but I do know why--- as crazy as it sounds He had His Eye on me. My path to becoming "Christian" started when I was 12. I started attending a Methodist service with my birth mom. I didn't understand it--I simply colored the pages.

When I went into foster care I went to church 3 times a week with my foster parents. They were Baptist.

In many ways my theology is an odd mix of Baptist and Methodist. In many ways I am disappointed in the Baptist idea. There is too much focus on myself. Too many pop-esque worship songs. Too much informality.

While I agree the church should be an entity that opens it's doors to all, I don't like the idea of people coming in their street shoes to the house of God.

Worship to me is a very, very formal thing. I attempt to dress in my best. To me, God demands we worship and follow him wholeheartedly, why should my dress be any different?

If the Orthodox church is a flame I am a moth. She, Christ's Bride, in her most formal form captures this prodigal's eyes. She is well polished. Predictable. Formal and mysterious. She is ritualistic and symbolic.

I enjoy a very involved worship service. One that distracts my mind off me, and pulls my attention to the prize-- Jesus Christ, my Lord and Saviour. <--- And that is what I expect to find in the very rooted traditional services of the Orthodox church.

I am very excited to head to church tomorrow. Very, very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment