“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.” ~Jacques Deval

“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.”    ~Jacques Deval

Monday, July 12, 2010

"Grow me a bed of roses"

Today I received a cd from Joensuu, Findland. The cd is from a band called "Poets of the Fall" that I've been following for several years.

There are several reasons I enjoy their music. First they have a nice mellow rock sound and the vocalist can actually sing.

Second I love their lyrics. In many respects they are true poets. Some examples follow:

" When the love letters face
it's like moving in slow motion
and we're already too late if we arrive at all"

"My worth is the look in your eyes
my prize the smile playing tricks on your lips and
I wonder again
do you ever dream of the world like I do?"

"If I lack your tears of joy, please forgive my heartless ploy
said the fool to his majesty dethroned"

"What do we have but illusions where one man's absolute is another's choice
Giving into confusion. Till love and hate both tempt with the same voice."

Overall they are more hopeful that I have portrayed them.

I guess it is something that has brought joy to my life. I've always enjoyed the physical world. It seems more absolute and more tangible...and leaves me more aware of how things are easily lost, stolen, coveted and reminds me of how much more the intangibles are worth.

I've tried for a while to understand the band's name : Poets of the Fall
Are they speaking of "the fall" of Adam and Eve? Or are they referring to the time of year where everything dies away? They are indeed in my opinion wonderful poets. Something I wish the states had in their mainstream music...deeper more meaningful lyrics. Maybe that is why I like them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment