“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.” ~Jacques Deval

“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.”    ~Jacques Deval

Monday, December 20, 2010

"A man without a wife is like a vase without flowers." ~African Proverb

With the many engagements I have been surrounded by, and the many up and coming weddings I decided to look up some quotes about marriage. 


These quotes really made me think. First the one in the title-- "A man without a wife is like a vase without flowers" or put another way-- "A woman without a husband is like flowers without a vase". Either case I think we begin to see a few things. First, men are useful on their own. They don't need wives persay but having one makes a world of difference. Women are beautiful in their own right as well. However, bringing the two together completes the whole ensemble. 


"Don't marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can't live without."  ~James C. Dobson



This quote really hit me. Often I find myself going through the whole dating thing with the idea: "Can I picture myself living with this person for 50 years?". Often this is a daunting question and usually the answer is no or maybe. 


The idea of not being able to live without someone in my life makes some sense, but in all honesty the thought is absolutely terrifying. What if they die? What if they don't feel the same? So many doubts hit me in the consideration of searching for someone I have lived 22 years of my life without. What makes them so special?


Of course if you look up quotes about marriage you will get a wide spectrum of views. These range from the "marriage is prison" to "marriage is bliss". It is difficult to discern if marriage is ideal or not. 


However, all doubts I know I wish to be married. This is based off logic and based on what I feel deep down. Some of my hearts desires stem from the idea of being married. (How am I suppose to be a good witness to teens in the foster system if I never marry?) Other  reasonings stem from my partial dislike to living alone. More often than not it is a terrible inconvenience to deal with leftovers, cleaning everything myself, and to have no one to be there to remind me to be a good housekeeper. Plus at the end of the day I want to know that I'm expected to watch someone's back as I expect them to watch mine. 


Alas I leave with this:


"Love is blind, but marriage restores its sight."  ~Samuel Lichtenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment