“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.” ~Jacques Deval

“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.”    ~Jacques Deval

Sunday, December 5, 2010

"If I think too much about all of those Chinese factories.."

"..where all the stuff in a Wal-Mart is made, I get that woozy feeling you get when you see ducks covered in crude oil."
Doug Coupland



I have decided to avoid ever shopping at a Wal-Mart again. If Americans saw the damages of Wal-mart as they saw the damages of the BP oil spill....I think they'd be absolutely outraged.

Tonight I watched a documentary on Wal-mart, and quite frankly it is sickening. One statistic mentioned was that  the Walton family has given back 1%  to charities and Bill Gates gives 58% of his earnings back to charity.

This is sickening, repulsive, and disgusting.

There are offenses in connection with the following:
1. Cheating employees out of overtime, full time employment (such as working 38 hrs a week but not 40), and good health benefits
2. Costing the tax payer billions of dollars by forcing many of their employees (and in fact encouraging them) to go on Medicaid.
3. Decreasing the value of local businesses within an already established community.
4. Poor environmental practices.
5. Treating factory workers in other parts of the world inhumanely.

The list really goes on.

I worked for Wal-Mart for one summer. It is the worst place I have ever worked for in my life. I have jokingly called Wal-Mart "Satan's Palace" for years. Now I fully realize this name is true.

If you are interested in the the documentary I watched the title is:
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
http://www.walmartmovie.com/


If you read my blog I strongly encourage you to do your own research. I'd ask you to NOT shop at Wal-mart. Support a company who supports their employees. Support a company that really gives back to the community.

Next time you considering going to Wal-mart because they have the cheapest prices around, ask yourself if it is worth supporting a corporation I'd pair with a huge lack of morality. Don't you think it would be worth paying a hair extra?

I suppose what I ask is that you, reader, along with me boycott Wal-mart.

1 comment:

  1. A book came out about two years ago on this subject. It said pretty much the same things, except with more emphasis upon Wal-Mart's affects on independent and local businesses. Needless to say, I'm not surprised.

    ReplyDelete