“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.” ~Jacques Deval

“God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.”    ~Jacques Deval

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Seasons come and go, fade until tomorrow"

Let's be frank, being single is not ideal -- at least to me.

I recently had a discussion with a friend who was perplexed by the idea that I must have a companion. He stated that I should need no one but the Lord. I disagree. 

In the first chapter of the Bible, God makes Adam. Adam is well and all, but God decides that man should not be alone--- thus he creates a "companion" for Adam. Eve was more than a sexual partner for Adam. She fulfilled a deeper need-- companionship. She was someone whom he could have conversations with, someone to share the work, someone to pass the time. If God saw the importance for Adam to have Eve, should he not also see the poorness of a man's soul who is very much alone as something to be avoided?

Now whether or not you are a "God-fearing" believer or not, I think it is clear that we are not meant to live our lives in inward confinement. We naturally form pairings and groups. We naturally seek to be surrounded by people. This is not so say that as individuals we cannot enjoy time to ourselves, but for overall wellbeing and a good state of mental health I am a firm believer that interacting with people is vital. 

One case I can give is my need to be touched. By this I mean over a certain period of time there is a minimum I must be engaged in hugs, handshakes, pats on the back, or a tender touch. The lack of such interaction leaves me depressed and moody. Sometimes it gets to the point that I'll touch people. This of course can be a social inconvenience.

As I have been in my new home for a month now, and I being that I am recently single I look forward to gaining a companion-- Romance or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment